Monday, October 14, 2013

Putting the Puzzle Pieces Together


I wouldn't feel qualified to write about mean women if I hadn't met a few myself. My most memorable encounters were, surprisingly, at church.

There, I encountered a group of women who liked to push people around. In retrospect, much of this dynamic was driven by one Queen Bee who sowed discord and created drama.

This was a difficult period in my life because I was forced to pull my children out of their spiritual home. We needed refuge, as I was her primary target. It was a bad environment for my children, as they were excluded from choir and from other activities.

With my head still spinning, I embarked upon a quest to understand what had happened. Soon, I started reading about a disorder known as "malignant narcissism," in which someone goes out of their way to take down a perceived adversary. This usually entails rumor mongering and an assortment of other under-handed techniques.

Often this is done because the predator feels threatened. Or she may be envious. Or she may just decide to torment a particular individual, just for the heck of it.

Unfortunately, it appears as if this pathological behavior is all too common. It's estimated that one out of every 25 people have malignant narcissism, or another serious personality disorder. This leave them devoid of empathy and oblivious to the agony of those they hurt.

I'll be writing more about this character flaw in upcoming posts, in an effort to shed light on why some women can be so mean. I plan to include information from some of the experts, who study the peculiar workings of female narcissists and sociopaths.

It's my fervent hope that discussing this topic, and bringing it out into the open, will empower the targets and help to alleviate their pain and frustration.

Bullying by adult females is a subject that hasn't been discussed much, until recently.

Flickr photo by MagnusA

No comments:

Post a Comment