Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Freeing Yourself from a Toxic Personality


The realization that someone posing as a friend was causing problems in my life was a sad awakening. But it was also liberating. Once I clearly saw the source of conflict, I knew what to do. The only logical response was to make a clean break. Although I pray for this person, I've decided to have no contact with her.

Previously, I had spent years watching a number of other friendships crumble, inexplicably. There was no peace in my life, and I didn't know why. My social circle of had, mysteriously, dwindled. Then our family started having difficulties in our church, the same one this woman attended.

 I began reading about toxic personalities in an effort to make sense of it all. But I didn't realize my close confidante fit that description. The information I had shared armed her with insider knowledge. Freeing myself from this dynamic has changed my life.

Now, I have new friends and no more drama, chaos and confusion. If you find yourself in a toxic situation, there's always a cause. Once you remove it, you'll never look back.

Flickr photo by izarbella

No comments:

Post a Comment