Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Trusting Again After Narcissistic Abuse


Once you've finished dealing with a malignant narcissist, some lingering issues remain. You may have forgiven her and moved on. You may not have seen her for years. But once your view of the world has been so radically altered, it's hard to trust again. This isn't all bad though.

Because we are now more cautious, we're very careful not to reveal too much information to a new acquaintance, at least until we've had a more time to get to know them. We also tend to treasure our old friends, whom have proven themselves trustworthy.

The encounter with a deeply disturbed and toxic person was painful. But you are also much more wise. You had strength you never knew you had, along with a much deeper appreciation for the good you do see in people. (Most people, basically, do have good will.)

I'm trying to just count my blessings years after having my life ransacked by a malignant narcissist I met at church. Because I was too trusting, I shared my innermost thoughts and secrets. (This was to my detriment, as she was able to construct scenarios that made my life challenges even worse.)

I also gave her access to other friends, with disastrous results. This has truly been a life changing experience. You don't have to be romantically involved with a sociopath/malignant narcissist in order to suffer great harm.

Flickr photo by Iqmal Osman1

No comments:

Post a Comment