Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Blessings of My Encounter with a Malignant Narcissist


Learning that someone I considered a friend was secretly trying to sabotage my relationships with other people was an experience I never wish to repeat. (There's much more, as the poison spread everywhere, even reaching into the domain of my employment.)

Yet, I learned a lot from this encounter. I realize that most people in the world mean very well. Whenever I see goodness in action I rejoice.

I'm a lot more discerning than I was. So the quality of my relationships going forward is going to be much better. Never will I tolerate a "friend" who is sometimes rude, writing it off as she's having a bad day or she doesn't have the social graces to always be even tempered. Actually, brief flashes of inappropriate anger are a sign you're dealing with a disordered personality. Never will I ignore this type of reaction again.

As someone who's been there, and has had her life jolted by a run-in with a malignant narcissist, I can assure you that things will get better. You'll be happy again, once you're free from this toxic influence.

Flickr photo by Alice Popkorn

No comments:

Post a Comment