Saturday, September 20, 2014

Narcissists Crave Drama


I just saw something on Pinterest that reminded me of my experience with a covert narcissist. These people love drama and they work endlessly to create it. It seems they are not satisfied unless they are actively engaged in pitting one person against another, or pitting a group of people against a target. Because people with this character flaw always need an enemy, they will change targets, selecting a new one just as they finish destroying their former one. Typically, this happens after they've driven the former target out of a workplace, a volunteer organization or a social group.

One of the easiest ways to spot a disordered personality is the chaos surrounds them. They are always upset with someone, always ticked off at someone else and they gossip endlessly about people who aren't present. Don't make the mistake of thinking they aren't doing the same thing to you when you're not around, because they are.

Amazingly, I once knew a malignant narcissist who let her secret slip. (I'm still shaking my head over this one.) She actually came clean, and told me she was trying to stir up trouble, in order to stay in control. If everyone around her was fighting, no one would be able to resist her particular plans, because they would be so bogged down with the drama she created. It's absolutely amazing how much destruction one person is capable of causing.


Pixabay image top by Nemo

4 comments:

  1. Yes, they do admit to doing deliberate manipulating stuff now and then, if you are in their good book. That is the reason my sis treason is so enormous, as I kept her sweet for so long time, and then it turns out she's been plotting my demise for 20+ yrs - ever since I got a family of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sad. She may very well be envious of the fact you seem to have a nice husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, she admitted to be that when she was in between husbands.

      Then her "new" husband (they've been together since 2003) was always "perfect", according to her, which I can totally admit my husband is NOT. He's just a human, not superman... :))

      Delete
  3. Wanting someone to be perfect is not realistic. They will eventually "fail."

    ReplyDelete